Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience; minimum three (3+) years of experience P&C underwriting. Prefer multistate homeowners underwriting experience in states UPC is licensed.
- As required by regulatory entities. Ability to acquire insurance licenses as required by role. Florida license in good standing is required within six (6) months from employment start date.
- Professional designation – CPCU, CIC, and/or API – preferred or willing to obtain
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills and organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills, i.e. Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and web-based programs.
- Ability to understand the long-term and short-term perspectives of situations.
- Ability to manage relationships in a fast-paced environment, while demonstrating persistence and problem-solving skills.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following behaviors:
- Motivation/Initiative: Motivated and curious, willing to ask questions, research issues and take on challenging projects/assignments; creative, brings new ideas to the table, exhibits self-confidence. Has strong achievement motivation and tenacity.
- Administrative Skills: Possesses ability to organize and follow-through on multiple tasks, recognizes and attends to important details with accuracy and efficiency, effectively prioritizes work of staff members. Works to complete goals, tasks and plans, anticipates potential problems and analyzes alternative solutions.
- Interpersonal Style: (Interpersonal Skills, Communication, Teamwork); develops/ maintains effective working relationships; listens attentively to others; communicates ideas clearly (written & verbal); relates to people in an open/ sincere manner; participates effectively in meetings; assists in finding solutions as well as identifying problems; communicates appropriately with supervisor, managed staff and co-workers. Able to manage other individuals and maintain calm and reliable demeanor in the face of challenges.
- Self-Management: (Adaptability/Flexibility, Stress Tolerance, Autonomy); adapts readily to changes in routine; works effectively in stressful situations; needs limited guidance and direction; is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment; is reliable and dependable; is results-oriented; maintains productivity and composure under pressure; views problems as opportunities to create solutions.
- Thinking Skills: Diagnoses problems efficiently; gathers sufficient input before making decision or plans; makes timely decision, quickly determines sources of problem, identifies information needed to solve problem and analyzes alternative solutions, communicates issues and decisions effectively to team.
- Customer Orientation: Sensitive & responsive to internal and external customer needs; demonstrates skills in customer services and satisfaction; maintains a positive attitude, willing to listen to customer problems and seeks solutions; stays in tune with changing needs of customers.
- Action Oriented
- Financial Acumen
- Drives Results
- Optimizes Work Processes
- Decision Quality
- Team player
Physical Demands and Work Environment: This position requires minimal physical exertion. However, in order to properly perform the functions of the job, good speaking, hearing and typing skills are required. The employee may be required to use any or all of the following on a daily basis: PC, telephone, cell phone, scanner, fax, printer and other office equipment.